Many people know that the difference between a carpet and an area rug is that carpet is fastened down to a floor (and often is “wall-to-wall”), while a rug is a textile that covers the floor and is not fastened down. But, what they may not know is that carpets and rugs are made out of very different materials, which is why cleaning an area rug or an Oriental rug is not the same thing as cleaning a carpet.
Regular maintenance, like vacuuming and immediate spot cleaning when spills occur will help keep an area rug looking nice. But to protect your investment, you should hire a professional to perform regular deep cleanings of your area rug, Oriental rug or Persian rug. San Diego area rug cleaning by Bay Area Carpet Cleaning assures that your delicate area rug or antique Oriental or Persian rug will be handled with the utmost care.
How can I tell if my rug needs to be cleaned?
Moisten a white towel. Gently rub a small area of your rug. If any dirt is transferred onto the towel, you should call Bay Area Carpet Cleaning (415) 528-5449. We’ll be happy to provide you with a free estimate. Because there are so many kinds of rugs and such unique materials woven into each one, it’s practically impossible for consumers to do a deep cleaning on area rugs themselves. But, that’s not the only reason your rugs need to be professionally cleaned on a regular basis.
Did you know that 9 x 12 Oriental rug can hold up to 87 pounds of soil without looking dirty? This was demonstrated by a study done by the Eureka Vacuum Cleaner Company. This exemplifies how dust accumulates over time and can settle into the rug. So, how often should you have your area rug cleaned? According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), professional deep cleaning should be done every:
- 3-6 months, if you have young children and pets.
- 4 months, if two smokers live in the house.
- 6 months, if you have young children but no pets.
- 6-12 months, if two non-smoking people live in the house.
If you live alone, and you don’t smoke, you could probably go as long as two years without having your area rug professionally cleaned. But, your rugs should be regularly maintained. The following are some great tips on maintaining your area rug between professional cleanings.
Maintaining Your Area Rug, Persian Rug, Antique Rug or Oriental Rug
Besides vacuuming your rug regularly and having it professionally cleaned, a very simple way you can maintain your rug and lengthen its useful life is to rotate it once a year. This ensures that the rug will get even wear, and no one area gets more foot traffic on it than other areas. These tips will also help you maintain your rug between professional cleanings:
- When vacuuming your area rug, remember to vacuum the back side of it, too. Dirt collects on the back side of the rug, and vacuuming it will help lengthen the life of your rug.
- For smaller rugs, like bathroom rugs, you probably won’t have to have them professionally cleaned. Just mix some vinegar and wool cleaner into a tub of water. Softly scrub your rug and rinse it thoroughly with clear water and either hang it out to dry or use a blow dryer to dry it.
- Don’t ever use detergents or ammonia when spot cleaning your area rug because they’ll harm the fibers. Vinegar, on the other hand, will actually reinforce your colors rather than making them run.
- If you spill something on your rug, clean it up immediately, so the stain won’t set into your fibers. Check your area rug manufacturer instructions for spot cleaning to find out what cleaners work best with your rug’s fibers.
- To help protect your area rugs from stains, ask us to apply Teflon® carpet protector each time we come out to professionally clean your area or Oriental rug. This will protect your area rug by forcing stains to bead up at the surface, giving you more time to blot them up before they set.
San Diego area rug cleaning by Bay Area Carpet Cleaning is offered to residential and commercial clients. We’ll take care of such issues as:
Whether your rug is hand-made or machine made, a Persian, Oriental, Turkish, Silk or priceless antique, we’ll treat your rug with the same care we would our own. Bay Area Carpet Cleaning offers professional quality results at great prices.